Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Reflections on my Hong Kong competition Trip

For the past few days, I was in Hong Kong participating in a track and field competition. This was my first overseas competition. I was very excited before the trip, it was also the first time I went overseas without my family but with my friends! I started the the trip from the airport where the team received our air tickets and checking in our luggages. It was rather saddening that our seats were not next to the person we wanted to sit with. It seemed that most of us were split up, some of us were sitting with strangers. We started looking at each others tickets and started making deals to exchange seats in the plane. It was hilarious to see how some people were so desperate to get their desired seat. I was lucky enough to sit next to my two friends who were in the same event as me.
We landed in Hong Kong at about 9pm, we went for dinner and then checked into the hotel. The hotel was fairly good. In the morning, we went for a buffet breakfast. I absolutely love buffets! It wasn't too bad, it had quite a variety of food. The first day was spent at Ocean Park! It was a Hong Kong theme park, I had been there quite a few times. What I really loved about Ocean Park was not only the awesome rides but also the carnival games which we could play to win prizes.
The following day was training at the stadium, so that we could get used to the place. The next two days were days of competition, my events were both in the morning on both days. I was not very confident in the competition as I was not used to the cold weather. It was about 8 to 18 degrees and all I was wearing to throw were my hwa chong tee-shirt and shorts. I was actually quite surprised at my results. I had gotten third in the discus competition. I hadn't been training that much on my discus throwing. The day after was my javelin competition, five people from hwa chong were competing in the same competition including me. I was competing with athletes who were a year older than me. In the end, I was placed fifth in the competition, after my two seniors who got second and fifth. I was fairly satisfied at my results, I had tried my best and had fun that was what is most important.
Overall, I loved the trip! There was awesome food and I got to spend more time with all my track and field friends. I felt this trip bonded us together and allowed us to get to know each other better. It has made me more independent as I had to be responsible for my actions. I loved the time spent with my friends, especially the time spent wrestling in the hotel room! I really thank the teachers and coaches that made this trip so awesome! I truly hope there will be more amazing trips like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment