Monday, August 15, 2011

Narrative sketch from two points of view

First point of view
It was a sunny afternoon, my brother and I as well as a few of my cousins went to play at the playground filled with sand beside my house. I could see the sunny rays of light shining through the umbrella like trees above. It was the perfect atmosphere, sunny day with sounds of laughter. We were playing the game called "crocodile". It was our utmost favourite game! I started the game as the "crocodile", I had to catch someone in the game without climbing up on any part of the playground. I had to spin round and round before we started the game, it was the most amusing part! As I spun I felt so dizzy and fell on to the sand. I started bursting out laughing as well as my brother and cousins. I tried the steady myself as I stood on my feet. As soon as I regained balance, I ran toward the platforms and stretched out my hand to try to catch someone! Screams were heard as all five of them squeezed at a corner on the playground. Suddenly I ran underneath the platform to try to catch someone on the other side. Quick noisy steps were heard as all of them tried to avoid me. I reached out my hand and managed to grab hold of my youngest cousin, Jane. She shrieked and glared at me with her unhappy face. Then she got down from the platform of the playground and spun around to start the new round. The excitement never seemed to end as we played full of joy till sunset.

Second point of view
I was finishing up my math homework when I felt it was rather dim. So I walked over to the window to raise my window shades. I then saw a group of six young children at the playground just outside my house. They looked all so cheerful and carefree. I still remember the times when I invited my friends over and we played games at that exact same playground. I saw a small boy in pyjamas like clothing spinning round and round and finally falling into the sand. All his other little friends were laughing and giggling at his silliness. I could not stop myself from smiling to myself as I missed all those childish memories of the past. They seemed to be playing a game of "crocodile". At last, the boy managed to catch hold of a little girl and she did not seem to be very happy about it. It seemed to be her turn to be the "crocodile". I used to play that game too as well as "blind mice". All my memories of my childhood started flooding back and I let out a sigh. I wish I could go back and relive those days of my childhood. I continued to watch the carefree little kids with huge smiles on their faces as they had the time of their lives, losing my focus of finishing up my piece of math homework.

Reflections
I feel that this is definitely a really good exercise as I could learn to write in different points of view but the same situation. This will really be handy when we write stories in which there different characters and we are writing from their point of view. I honestly loved this exercise as what I actually wrote is something close to my heart. The two different points of view are as a matter of fact the two different feelings I had in my life, one as a small kid and one as a teen right now. I used to play at this playground outside my house with my neighbours as well as my cousins all the time. It was a regular habit that we built up when I was still a little kid. We always played games like "crocodile", "blind mice" and "monkey in the middle". Now that I have grown older and grew busier and busier, I had very little time to visit the playground. Even my neighbours have also stopped going there. Right now as a teen, I find myself losing concentration of work and travelling back in time whenever I look out of the window and hear sounds of laughter as another group of young children play their silly childish games. I really wish I could just put time on rewind. Sometimes I even go to the playground to soak up the memories and think about the amazingly fun times we had.
I extremely enjoyed this blog prompt as it not only benefitted me by practicing two points of view in a story, I too reviewed and realised how time went by so quickly. I really want to treasure every moment I have left of my teenage years before I become an adult!

1 comment:

  1. That was two good narrative sketches from two different point of view. If I were to choose which one was better, I would definitely choose the second one as the second one seems to be part of a long story with that as a small part of the full story. You narrative sketch has reminded me of how I used to have gun with my friends at the playground when I was young. Although we did not play the "crocodile" game stated in the narrative sketch, I can remember that we ran around like hooligans and there was no one who could stop us. However, I have not gone to the playground since I started secondary school education and became too engrossed in work. After reading your narrative sketch, I would like to hit the "Rewind" button on the time machine and travel back to the old days and start playing with my friends at the playground again.

    ReplyDelete