Friday, May 6, 2011

Track and Field competition experience 2011

Every year, there will be a really amazing Inter-school Track and Field competition, I will never fail to look forward to it! This was because we have been training really for a whole year for this competition! I have been participating in this Track and Field competition since primary 4. This year has been my second year representing Hwa Chong institution in this competition. Last year, I participated in the events, shot put and javelin. As a junior in the C division last year, I was a year younger than the others, as a result I did not have as much strength as the older boys. Thus I did not get a place in the finals for shot put but I managed to clench 5th place in javelin. This year being an age older, I knew I had a chance to get a medal. I had be signed up for two events this year, discus and javelin. I had focused more javelin than my discus during training, thus I was hoping to achieve better results in my javelin.
Hwa Chong has had a winning streak for the champion titles for the B and C divisions, thus the whole team was determined to keep the title this year. During the competition period, we not only had to miss lessons to compete, we also had to sacrifice many things to support the team. Our team was encouraged to go down to the stadium after school to support the competitors who were competing on that day, as a result we had to sacrifice the things we had on after school to go down to support. This would also mean that we had less time to do homework and revise work.
During the days that I had competition, I missed lessons that we were important as there were tests that we very near. Despite this, I tried my best to ask my friends what the teachers were talking about in class. This was quite a challenge for me as I did understand what the teachers were talking about when I returned to class the following day. On the day of competition, I went to the stadium early to stretch and warm up so that I was ready to throw. My first event was discus, I got 4th place which I had expected myself to get. My second even which was javelin was on the final day of competition and the school had sent a few classes of secondary one students to go down to cheer and support us. Before the competition started, I was feeling very nervous as I was very determined to get a medal. As the competition started, I tried my best and managed to get a gold medal! I was so full of excitement and joy as my hard work did not go to waste. I too was able to break my personal record! After the competition ended, the whole Track and Field team went for dinner together. Although it was not the best food, but we were able to enjoy ourselves! I really thank my teachers for their understanding when I have missed class, the students who came to support us, my coach, my friends and family who supported me all the way! I really look forward to the next Track and Field competition next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment